Thread: How to send popup message on network computer from XP to Vista

How to send popup message on network computer from XP to Vista

I know how to send popup messages on Windows 95/98 computers but now I am under Windows XP. I want to send a popup message to a network computer using Windows Vista. How can we send a popup message to another computer on the same network? Please help!

Re: How to send popup message on network computer from XP to Vista

NET SEND *

Sends out a broadcast to all registered users of the local domain <00> through each protocol on the sending computer. For example, a computer that runs Windows with NWLINK, TCP/IP, and NetBEUI would send three broadcast messages to domain <00>. A user in the domain that runs all three protocols would receive three messages.

NET SEND /DOMAIN:NAME

Sends out a broadcast to the specified domain name <00> through each protocol on the sending computer. This functions the same as the NET SEND *, with the exception that you can choose a specific domain, instead of using your current logon domain.

NET SEND NAME

Sends a directed message to the <03> NetBIOS entry for the user specified. The user receives only one message, and the normal methods for detecting NetBIOS names is used.

NET SEND /USERS

Sends a directed message to the <03> NetBIOS entry for the computer name of each session established with the server. You can view these connections through Server Manager. If a computer has three sessions open under Server Manager, then that computer receives the message three times.

SERVER MANAGER - SEND MESSAGE

Send a directed message to the <03> NetBIOS entry for each computer connected to the server. Unlike the NET SEND /USERS, only one message is sent to each connected computer, even if the computer has multiple sessions with the server.

Thanks for that information Elijah but I am still not clear about the command. I mean how can I use this command? Should I just use "net send" with the name of the computer or should I provide some more information? Can you help out with this command with some example?

Why not, sure! Here is the syntax of the command:

Code:
    NET SEND {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message
    Example:

NET SEND Elijah "How are you Elijah today?"

net send is no longer avaiable since xp sp2 yu should try msg.exe or a third party application such as lanmessenger or dmessage

Actually net send is still available in win xp sp2. It is disabled by default. To enable it go to start, run, then type services.msc then go to messenger. Right click, go to properties. Select automatic. Then at the top left corner start services. that will allow you to use net send. I'm still trying to figure out how to send a message from an xp box to a vista box. I'll get back to you on that.