Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009

Shut Down takes 5-10 minutes on vista

Hello everyone,

I am using Windows Vista on my laptop.Recently it takes a minimum of 5 minutes to shutdown, blue dump screen, then automatically boots back up. whats wrong with my notebook?

thanks goes to any suggestions !!
Old 03-08-2009

Re: Shut Down takes 5-10 minutes on vista

Most of the shutdown issues are generally caused by a program and/or process that is reluctant to exit. The application process can be from malware
or can be legitimate.If you are using a Norton or McAfee product, uninstall it and replace with a better program such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast (free). The Windows Firewall is adequate for most people. With Vista, shutdown issues can also be caused by old/poorly written drivers so make sure all drivers are updated.
Old 03-08-2009

In order to completely curb your problems, get a Microsoft Vista DVD and use the product key on the green sticker on the bottom of the PC. Install Vista clean.Install Vista(whatever version), Phone Activate(no there is no other way) intall AV( a real one not Norton) some spyware protection and head for windows update.I have seen you situation roughly 1788 times and speaking as a MCSE A+ tech.
Old 03-08-2009
Dr. V

Can you probe for this
Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools

On the Advanced Tools, under "Performance issues" is there a link "Programs are causing Windows to shut down slowly"? If you able to find this what information is given if you click the link to "View details"?

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , ,