Thread: Control Access through Remote Access Policy grayed out

Control Access through Remote Access Policy grayed out

I want to access a remote computer with VPN already configured. But I am facing some issues while connecting to this computer. When I check all the settings everything seems to be OK except "Control Access through Remote Access Policy" option which is simply grayed out. I am running Windows Server 2003 on this computer. How can I fix this problem?

Re: Control Access through Remote Access Policy grayed out

If your server is a domain controller, Control access through Remote Access Policy may be grayed out. This indicates that your domain controller is in mixed mode. Mixed mode is the default mode when you promote a server to a domain controller. It means that the domain can have a mixture of NT4 and Windows 2000 servers. This is usually done when migrating an NT4 domain to Windows 2000 or higher.

Source: cit.wta.swin.edu.au

If “Control Access through Remote Access Policy” is grayed out then probably your domain functional level is probably set to Windows 2000. To enable it, right click on your domain name in Active Directory and select Raise Domain Functional Level. Choose Windows 2003 from the drop down list and press Apply. Once you are done, you will be able to select “Control Access through Remote Access Policy”.

This occurs when Active Directory is in Mixed mode. To enable these options, change the Active Directory to Native mode. Note that when you change the Active Directory from Mixed mode to Native mode, it cannot be reversed. Native mode does not allow down-level domain controllers to participate in the Active Directory.