Thread: Windows Xp loads with out icons and tool bars

Windows Xp loads with out icons and tool bars

Hello,
    I have windows XP computer with a Pentium 4 2.6ghz and 512 ram.my computer does not seem to be running properly. Windows will boot up, and i can view icons in desktop. I can move my mouse pointer over the screen, but I am unable to open,if I shift the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, the hourglass comes up like it is thinking. I probed the task manager, to see the things usual.At this point am totally blank you guys help me out

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance!!

Re: Windows Xp loads with out icons and tool bars

Me having issues with my original setup not booting up at all. So i have windows xp pro disc. I configured BIOS to boot cd first. I then place cd in tray boot computer up and press button when it say boot from disc. I then go through the formatting and set up windows on the partition. I have done this many times on my other computer and never had this happen. I have even tried many steps people have posted on this site to try and figure this out. Think it may be a trojan or junk pc.

One of my friend's computer was an XP Home installed over it some time ago. Boot up time up to 4-5 minutes, freezing at the background without icons or tool tray. So reinstalled McAfee, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender and rebooted.In msconfig, did diagnostic start up, looked all start up items and unmarked one at a time, rebooting after each. The short start up was when Local System Services and Load Startup were not checked.Defrag, chkdsk and clean disk all done, no change. I'm thinking a bad update

I had this on my computer in past week. I decided to turn off the automatic updates via msconfig. After rebooting the computer everything worked as normal again. But on the next boot the same message poped up again "Installing windows updates, do not turn of your computer" "Installing update 1 of 1". This message has now been up for about 45 minutes...I am understood that this tells that Windows Update is the problem.So my assumption is that may be y our computer probably is so slow because Windows is trying to install an update that does not work...so you need to do is to turn this automatic installation off