Thread: XP will not start in normal mode after power outage

XP will not start in normal mode after power outage

I can boot in safe mode fine, however safe mode with networking doesn't work. I"ve tried unplugging any non-essential usb devices. The device manager doesn't contain any duplicate items or errors/warnings. I ran chkdsk with no errors. When I go into the log, this is what I find:

The following bo0t start or system start drivers failed to load:
    Afd
    Avgldx86
    Avgmfx86
    Avgtdx
    Elbycdio
    Fips
    Ipsec
    Mrxsmb
    Netbios
    Netbt
    Processor
    Rasacd
    Rdbss
    tcpip

It's driving me crazy! I can't figure out why safe mode is starting normally but normal mode is not. I've run msconfig and unchecked all startup items also. Help!

Re: XP will not start in normal mode after power outage

Try to start Windows XP in normal mode after removing your LAN card if its a PCI lan card. If its onboard lan card, remove the drivers from the device manager from safe mode and try again... Also try system restore.

Run cmd from start menu > run. Then type chkdsk and let it scan your system. Then insert windows disk and after the scan start a new cmd and give the command - sfc /scannow. It will scan windows and try to fix any errors. Otherwise do a windows xp repair by windows disc.

disabling the onboard network card in device manager didn't work. I don't have any restore points in order to do a restore. The initial chkdsk didn't come up with any errors. I will try the sfc /scannow command and post back... The repair did not work either.

sfc /scannow command didn't work: error= windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. the rpc server is unavailable

When you attempt to use the sfc /scannow command, the command may not work, and you may receive the following error message:

Windows File Protection could not be initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific code is 0x000006ba [The RPC Server is unavailable.].

This behavior can occur if the certificate for VeriSign time stamping has been removed from the computer. This certificate is listed as: "Issued To: No Liability Accepted, (c)97 VeriSign, Inc.".

For Solution check this Link
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296241

Uninstall most recent application as that can be cause for conflict between operating system and that application otherwise better to go with installation of new windows ..

In order to resolve this issue, the certificate needs to be restored to the original location. You first need to export the certificate and then import the file.

Go to the Microsoft link provided by Calvin.K and follow the step by step instructions to export the certificate and import the file.

SFC only works when Windows File Protection (WFP) is running. Therefore if booting in Safemode or if WFP for some reason won't start, then SFC will fail with an error .