Thread: Reset file permission in windows xp professional

Aspen Guest

Reset file permission in windows xp professional

I have recently bought a new hard drive and i am planning to transfer all the data of my old hard drive to new one, but when i am trying to transfer files some of the files within it are giving me some problems because of the existing permissions on the drive, i guess to overcome from this issue i need to reset file permission that i don't know. Does anyone know how to reset file permission in Windows XP professional ?

As per my knowledge after security settings are applied, you cannot make any changes without restoring from a backup. If you are uncertain about resetting your security settings go back to the default security settings, but befor doing this make sure you have a complete backup that includes the "System State" (the registry files). Items that are reset include NTFS file system files and folders, the registry, policies, services, privilege rights, and group membership.

If you want to take the ownership of a file then you need to follow the below steps:-

1. Right-click on the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2. Over here select Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message.
    3. Now click on Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:
    if you want to change the permission of the file that you own then try to follow the below steps for it.
    1. Click on Add.
    2. In the enter the object names to select list, type the user or group account that you want to have access to the file and click on OK.
    3. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
    4. Finally click on OK once you have finished assigning permissions.