Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 29-07-2009

Installing vmware tools on Ubuntu

Hello friends,

I got the rpm and trying to install vmware tools on my server but I am no longer to do this all the time it brings me the errors.
error: Failed dependencies:/bin/sh is needed by VMwareTools-7428-126130.i386.Bullshit I have no idea what the .....is this?each time it is annoying me..Guys please guide me in this regard..

the helps are really appreciated..!!
thank you guys
Old 29-07-2009

Re: Installing vmware tools on Ubuntu

First you gotta install a few packages for compiling the latest VMware Tools. This can be done within the Ubuntu virtual guest:

sudo aptitude install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Now you can install the tools for that you have to inform the VMware Server that you going to install the VMware Tools. For this on VM > Install VMware Tools? in the VMware Server menu running on the host. This must be done while the virtual Ubuntu guest is already running.It will load a virtual CDROM within your virtualized Ubuntu guest.
Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and use the following commands.
sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

cp -a /media/cdrom/VMwareTools* /tmp/

cd /tmp/

tar -vxzf VMwareTools*.gz

cd vmware-tools-distrib/

sudo ./vmware-install.pl

The only prompt I had to make a different selection on in my machines was the video resolution other you can put as default.But considering we are compiling the tools for the current running version of the kernel these steps may need to be retaken if the virtualized Ubuntu guest upgrades its kernel.
Old 29-07-2009
Dr. V

Install this way If your Ubuntu guest logged in, go to the ?VM? menu option and choose Install VMware Tools. Now next part of the process mounts a virtual CD image with the VMware Tools contained on it. To find these tools for installation locate to Places > Computer > CD Drive. you can see those 2 files there

VMwareTools-*.rpm
VMwareTools-.tar.gz

Use the .tar.gz file for Ubuntu guest installations.Now we have access to the needed file, the next part of the process is opening the archive and installing the tools. you should be able to use to unpack and setup VMware Tools on your Ubuntu 8.04 guest with the following commands

sudo aptitude install build-essential linux-headers-generic
cp /media/cdrom/VMwareTools-*.tar.gz /tmp/
cd /tmp/
tar xf VMwareTools-*.tar.gz
cd vmware-tools-distrib/
sudo ./vmware-install.pl

You should be able to safely select the defaults for most of the questions. For the new VMware Tools to be available once this process is done you?ll need to reboot your Ubuntu.
Old 29-07-2009

You better install binutils else install open virtual maschine tools:
apt-get update
apt-get install module-assistant
apt-get install open-vm-source
module-assistant prepare open-vm
module-assistant auto-install open-vm

Cheers !!

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,