Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 27-07-2009

Remote Desktop on Server 2008: This computer can't connect to the remote computer

We have installed a new server running Windows Server 2008 Standard x86. I've enabled allow remote desktop connections (less secure option) in system properties but when I try and connect from another PC I get the following error Remote Desktop Disconnected: This computer can't connect to the remote computer. I've tried opening a remote desktop connection from the console session on the actual server and get the same error. I've tried disabling the firewall, I had Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 installed and have tried disabling it and uninstalling it with no luck. The event logs don't appear to show anything relating to the issue. I've install service pack 2 and all available critical updates for server 2008. Any ideas on why I can't connect???
Old 27-07-2009

Re: Remote Desktop on Server 2008: This computer can't connect to the remote computer

Try this. I think this can help you. First logon into your server. Then in windows command line give the following commands - Cscript %windir%\system32\SCRegEdit.wsf /ar 0. Then press enter. Now just restart your server and try to setup the connection again. Don't use the old one create a new one. Then just try hope this will work.
Old 27-07-2009

Re: Remote Desktop on Server 2008: This computer can't connect to the remote computer

When I run that command it says Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\Windows\System32\Scregedit.wsf". Do I need to install a toolkit or something?
Old 27-07-2009

For info SCRegEdit.wsf is a Windows script, you can use to make basic administration changes like turning Automatic Updates on or off, turning Remote Desktop on or off and change page file settings. All these changes can be made through the graphical interface in a Full installation, but can't be performed on Server Core. SCRegEdit.wsf is designed to make these changes possible on Server Core installations, where these specific graphical interface parts are unavailable.
Old 28-07-2009

To view current Terminal Server settings this command use :

Quote:
c:\windows\system32\scregedit.wsf /AR /v
The following values used by the scregedit.wsf script.

1 = Terminal Services Disabled (remote access disabled)

0 = Terminal Services Enabled (remote access enabled)

At the server to enable Terminal Services access in command prompt type:

Quote:
c:\windows\system32\scregedit.wsf /AR 0
Old 28-07-2009

Thanks for the feedback.

As mentioned previously, when I try and run the cscript command it says it can't find scregedit.wsf in C:\Windows\system32. Do I have to install a feature or something to have place scregedit.wsf in that directory?

Another thing I have noticed is that when I run netstat -a -n there is no entry stating that port 3389 is listening and it should be there. Does that shed any more light on my issue?
Old 28-07-2009

I've worked it out. In the Terminal Services Configuration console I had to re-create the RDP-tcp connection as it was reporting some kind of corruption when you viewed Properties and the Network Adapter tab. After doing this I was able to start a remote desktop session again.
Old 28-07-2009

Just check whether you have following services enable.
  • Enable automatic updates then
  • Enable Remote Desktop for Administration then
  • Enable Terminal Server clients on previous versions of Windows to connect to a server running a Server Core installation you also need to
  • Configure DNS SRV record weight and priority
  • If possible then Manage IPsec Monitor remotely

Check whether you have Enable Remote Desktop for Administrators
This service is for to Enable Remote Deskop from Windows Vista/2008:
o Cscript %windir%\system32\SCRegEdit.wsf /ar 0
Enable Remote Desktop from Windows XP/2003 and earlier
- Cscript %windir%\system32\SCRegEdit.wsf /ar 0
- Cscript %windir%\system32\SCRegEdit.wsf /cs 0 and press Enter.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: ,