Thread: File and Settings Transfer Wizard in XP

File and Settings Transfer Wizard in XP

I am using windows XP as my operating system from very long time but have never came across File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Now i want to migrate my data and settings to a new computer from the existing one. For doing so some one has suggested me to use File and Settings Transfer Wizard. So i need help from you all regarding the same. Please guide me in using F.A.S.T. Thank you !!!

Re: File and Settings Transfer Wizard in XP

You can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to transfer settings from one computer to another computer. Microsoft has chosen to let File and Settings Transfer Wizard feature with strong potential wither on the vine with only very basic improvements. To run the File and Settings Transfer Wizard, just go through this:-

• Click start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

• On the Welcome to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen, click Next.

• On the Which computer is this screen, click New computer, and then click Next.

• On the Do you have a Windows XP CD screen, click I don't need the Wizard Disk. I have already collected my files and settings from my old computer, and then click Next.

• On the Where are the files and settings? screen, click the same transfer method that you selected in step 3 in the "Collect the files and settings from the old computer" section. For example, Floppy drive or other removable media.

• Click Next. If you selected Floppy drive or other removable media, you are prompted to insert disk 1. When you are prompted, click OK.

• On the Completing the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen, click Finish.

• Log on to the computer to apply your transferred settings.

Thats it !!

The settings that you can transfer with F.A.S.T. include your personalized settings for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, desktop settings, display settings, and dial-up connection settings.You can also use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to create a backup copy of your Windows XP settings. You can use this backup copy of your settings to restore your files and settings if you have to reinstall Windows XP.In case you dont have the wizard, you need to create it. To create a Wizard Disk by using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, follow these steps:-

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    2. On the Welcome to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen, click Next.
    3. On the Which computer is this screen, click Next.
    4. On the Do you have a Windows XP CD screen, click I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive.
    5. In the drive list, click the drive that you want. For example, 3-1/2 Floppy A, and then click Next.
    6. Insert a blank formatted disk into the drive, and then click OK to create the Wizard Disk.
    7. Remove the Wizard Disk, and then click Cancel.

You can run this wizard from your old Windows XP CD-ROM. That will pack up and save your files and settings for transfer to a new computer.Some settings may not be restored to your Windows XP-based computer. Settings for devices that are either not available on or incompatible with Windows XP will not be transferred. A list of files or folders that were not be restored to their original locations appears on the Completing the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen of the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.