Thread: Bad links in lost chain at cluster in Vista

Bad links in lost chain at cluster in Vista

Last week I was trying to copy 1 GB of game from my hard drive to DVD. This took around 1 hour. I was worried why it took so long. After the completion, I got an error message saying "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxxx corrected". I didn't understood what this means and so I simply rebooted the computer. But the problem is that this error message now appears every now and then. I am running Windows Vista on my computer. Can you help me regarding this error message?

Re: Bad links in lost chain at cluster in Vista

Seems to be your hard drive is damaged or is having some bad sectors. Use Windows chkdsk to test your hard drive and see if this can fix your clusters on your hard drive. Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems. The tool then tries to repair any that it finds. For example, Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. Also visit this for more information: External hard disk data erased by windows & moved to new folder called found 000 on it..

How old is your hard drive? I am assuming your hard drive must be dieing. Try to perform some hard drive maintenance such as defragmenting your hard drive, or check disk. It is better to take backup of your hard drive in order to prevent any data losses. Use some data recovery software like Windows Data Recovery or refer this Data Recovery Guide.

As the message says, it has recovered some sector of your hard drive which may be corrupted because of a virus or a malfunction in the system. I would stick with the suggestions as given above regarding the data recovery and also checking your disk for some clusters.