Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to display the contents of a registry key from the command line

Operating Systems

Old 23-07-2009

How to display the contents of a registry key from the command line

I forgot my limited password on my Windows XP computer. So I would like to reset it. I restarted my computer and I am right now on command prompt. I am trying to reset the password but don't know how to go to registry editor. Can you help me to know how to display the contents of a registry key from the command line?

Old 23-07-2009

Re: How to display the contents of a registry key from the command line

You can view, edit, and modify their registry from the MS-DOS command prompt by using the reg command.

REG Operation [Parameter List]

Operation [ QUERY | ADD | DELETE | COPY | SAVE | LOAD | UNLOAD | RESTORE | COMPARE | EXPORT | IMPORT ]

Return Code: (Except of REG COMPARE)

0 - Successful
1 - Failed

For help on a specific operation type:

REG Operation /?

Examples:

REG QUERY /?
REG ADD /?
REG DELETE /?
REG COPY /?
REG SAVE /?
REG RESTORE /?
REG LOAD /?
REG UNLOAD /?
REG COMPARE /?
REG EXPORT /?
REG IMPORT /?
Old 23-07-2009

To change a registry value or registry permissions from a command line or from a script, use the Regini.exe utility. The Regini.exe utility is included in the Windows NT Server 4.0 Resource Kit, in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit, and in the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit. The syntax for changing registry values or permissions with Regini is:
Quote:
REGINI [-m \\machinename] files
Here, the -m \\machinename option is used to modify the registry of a remote machine, and files represents the names of the script files that contain the changes to the registry.
Old 23-07-2009

You can even try by login into admin account and following the below steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the subkey that holds the registry item or items that you want to change.
3. To take the registry backup before the changes, click File, and then click Export. Save it some where on external drive.
4. In the right pane, add or modify the registry items you want.
5. You can any time resume the previous registry using the above backup file.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,