Thread: windows xp was unable to start due to a software or hardware change

windows xp was unable to start due to a software or hardware change

I have a Dell Laptop and Windows XP is installed in it. Today when I opened my laptop it started well with the brand name logo but after that a message comes saying that windows was unable to start due to a software or hardware change. And after that I got multiple options to choose to start windows like start windows normally or choose last configuration. Therefore can anyone tell me if this is normal cause I havent changed anything in my laptop. Thank you

Re: windows xp was unable to start due to a software or hardware change

You might have lost some files from windows, you will need to reinstall windows. Usually this is a pretty good sign that your hard drive is starting to fail. You can also first try with last known good configuration if it is not working. than just repair your window with your os cd.

First of all if that is the case you are going to want to boot from your windows xp cd and delete all the partisions on your computer. then reboot and load from the cd and install vista again. Thats the quickest and easiest way to fix it becasue it failed to start due to a software or hardware failure.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

You should try the repair option. If not, XP does not erase your My Documents folder, unless you format the drive. You should be able to install over the old XP. But you will loose your programs without re-installing them again.