Thread: File Manager (winfile.exe) under Windows Vista

File Manager (winfile.exe) under Windows Vista

Hi,

I've downloaded the appropriate version of winfile.exe. However, I don't know how to install it. However, you have to re-enable that file manager to run it under Vista. Look at the website link pasted below how to do that. Please do not tell me how easy Explorer is. It may be but I am asking if there a program for Vista similar to the old File Manager (winfile.exe) program. Please do not tell me how easy is this Explorer.

Re: File Manager (winfile.exe) under Windows Vista

File Manager is a file manager program bundled with releases of Microsoft Windows. The program's interface showed a list of directories (later called folders) on the left side, and a list of the current directory's contents on the right side. File Manager allowed a user to create, rename, move, print, copy, search for, and delete files and directories, as well as to set permissions such as read-only or hidden, and to associate file types with programs.

The Windows File Manager resides within the Windows Directory under the file name Winfile.exe. Just place winfile.exe in c:\windows and create a shortcut to it. File Manager is also very handy for setting permissions and changing file\folder security. It did not support the extended file names that became available in Windows 95.

Try Total Commander 7. I have been using this for 8-10 years now and wouldn't be without it. It could delete the file under the cursor instead of the selected files if the current directory was changed in the background while the delete confirmation dialog was up (only when the function "Auto-Refresh when the file system changes" was active). It also corrects problems with unpacking multi-volume RAR files, AES encryption on NT4, and an access violation when starting minimized to the system tray.