Thread: Workstation Compatibility for ESXI

Workstation Compatibility for ESXI

I need the workstation compatibility to use esxi service. I need some specification of minimum system requirement for the esxi thing. Where can I get a compatibility list so that it would able to determine for the functionality of the ESXI. Second thing how to create bootable ESX usb stick. What is the hardware requirement to run this product. Now there are two versions of Vmware. The first one is VMware ESX and the second one is VMware ESXi. What is difference between them.

Re: Workstation Compatibility for ESXI

The VMware ESXi has some additional features as compare to the VMware ESX. I will list some key differences between them. In the part of service console the VMware ESX has a standard linux environment. By this the user has privileged access to the VMware ESX kernel. On the other had VNware ESXi is created to a convert a server to a computing appliance. It behaves more like a firmware. It gives hardware like security and reliability. The VMware ESX has host CLI command through which it can be configured. But in VMware ESXi has Remote CLI. It is called as RCLI by which the virtual appliance co-ordinates with the VMware ESXi host.

The workstation compatibility guide is an online service is offered by VMware to check out the issues in working of ESXi. Just log on to the official site of VMware and look for compatibility guide. The guide looks like form and ask a user to fill up some general information like version, partner name, form factor, cpu, etc. By filling up you can get a guide to ESXi.

To create a bootable ESXi usb disc you will need a 1 GB usb drive, winimage and a archiving utility winzip or winrar. You can also use your own tools. Now follow the below instructions :
    Download the ESX server 32 installable ISO. You will need daemon tool to mount the iso file and extract the content.
    • Extract the install.tgz form the root directory of the file. In the same way extract /usr/lib/VMware/installer/VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0-xxxxx.i386.dd.bz2 from INSTALL.TGZ.
    • Now extact VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0-xxxxx.i386.dd from VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0-xxxxx.i386.dd.bz2
    • Connect the usb drive. Use the WinImage tool to transfer the VMware-VMvisor-big-3.5.0-xxxxx.i386.dd to the usb.
    • Then unplug the usb flash drive. Attach the drive on the system where you want to boot. Switch the machine on and the ESX server will boot. Configure it.