Thread: Reset xp administrator password using linux

Reset xp administrator password using linux

I have a computer with Windows XP and my Administrator account has a password too... But the tragedy is that, i forgot the password... and i cannot find, how to retrive the password. A friend of mine told me that we can retrieve the windows password by using a linux live cd. But he didn't know which linux version can do that... Can anyone help me?

Re: Reset xp administrator password using linux

Well, practically it is not possible to crack windows administrator password without logging into windows. Do you have any other account with admin rights? If you have, login into windows with that account and then change password of your account... You can do it by going to user options from control panel...

If you have access to other account with admin privileges, then log in to windows with that account. Once you are into windows, go to command prompt and use the "net user" command. Its syntax is :
    Code:
    net user
    net user <username> *
    This command will then as you to enter a new password for the username you have typed. You can type a new password without remembering the old password and simple press Enter to remove password. All the best!

You can use OPHCRACK linuc based live CD to retrieve the windows passwords. Well just install the CD into CD-ROM, Go to bios setup and change the boot settings to boot from CD-ROM or first boot device as CD-ROM. Then let ophcrack boot. Once it finishes the booting it will search for windows installation that exists on the hard disk and will retrive the passwords for all the users that are present on the computer. You don't have to do anything, just boot from cd...