Thread: Install Server 2003 by MS DOS

Install Server 2003 by MS DOS

I want to install windows server 2003 in my system. It is already running windows xp. But know I want to format it and install the server 2003. But the problem here is that my bootable disc is not working. Is there a way by which I can start the setup by Ms Dos. How to create a DOS boot disc and run the setup to install Microsoft Server 2003. Thanks.

Re: Install Server 2003 by MS DOS

Creating boot disc is easy. It depends on the operating system you want to install. You will have to ensure that the boot disc can only be created on FAT32 folder. Insert a new floppy drive and then go to start menu > run > and type e:\i386 and then click ok. E is the drive of your CD/DVD drive. Insert your windows server cd. Then right click on the ntldr file and select copy. Now same way insert a floppy drive and then type a: in the run box. Then click on edit menu and paste the file. Then rename the file and name it Setupldr.bin. Now open notepad and copy the below text and save it as boot.ini. Move the file in the floppy drive.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    Default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="<OperatingSystem>"

To create a bootable floppy drive for installing your windows server follow the instructions. To do this you will need to create a 4 GB FAT32 partition with FDISK. Open command prompt and then create a 4GB FAT32 partition with FDISK. Choose a drive and then give reboot. Then format the partition you have created and from the windows server cd see the i386 folder. Form that double click and run winnt.exe command file.

Here is way to create a boot disc by windows 98 disc. To do this you will need a windows 98 bootable cd. Insert the windows 98 cd and restart you system. Boot from cd and then select cd rom supported. Then in dos command type fdisk and press enter. The Fdisk is used for partitioning the drive. Then restart your system and insert a floppy drive. Same way select cd rom support and type c: /s. The drive will be formatted. Then type A:\oakcdrom.sys C:, then enter C:\autoexec.bat. A blue window will appear. Type C:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001. Then press alt key and save the file. Now type C:\config.sys and type DEVICE=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001. Again save and restart your system and remove the floppy dirve.