Thread: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files

wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files

Hi,

I could backup wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files from system32, folder before I decide to reinstall windows xp on my formated drive, when I tried to copy the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files back into the system32 folder, Windows still refused to accept that it had been activated. Is there another way? Or do I need to call Microsoft and tell them I need an activation key?

Re: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files

Microsoft requires you to re-activate the OS no matter how many times you install it, so YES you need to call Microsoft and tell them to give you a key. Microsoft says " If the same version of the software is reinstalled on the same machine and the hard disk is not reformatted prior to reinstalling, the software will remain activated. Reactivation will be required if the hard disk is reformatted and the software is reinstalled. This is because the software's activation status is stored on the hard drive and reformatting the hard drive erases that status."

Does each profile would have it's own WPA files? I thought that by saving the WPA.DBL file from system32 from my current windows install would allow me to paste this into a new install and thus not have to reactivate the product. Anyways is there any other method to reactivate after installing a fresh windows xp ??

First back up the two files WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK from the Windows\System32 folder Or try the transfer File& settings wizard if you have two computers. You should not have a problem as long as you have the Product Key to install the OS, or as I've found on a few systems that it wasn't needed when restored from an image. Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder.