Thread: Do not turn off or unplug your computer, it will turn off automatically

Do not turn off or unplug your computer, it will turn off automatically

Hi,

My pc was doing a windows update when I turned it off but it has been stuck. After installing windows Updates (1 of 4), "Do not turn off or unplug your computer; it will turn off automatically." I can't still move my mouse and see the cursor. Is it safe to shut down my computer directly. I have windows xp on my computer. Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to get round this problem.

Re: Do not turn off or unplug your computer, it will turn off automatically

Turn it power off as it must have crashed, then when you power back on if you have any problems hit the F8 key and use the system restore option, then when your in get windows xp to install the updates while its on and not powering down.

To remove "Do not turn off or unplug your computer, it will turn off automatically", go to control panel and automatic updates and choose the option "turn off automatic updates". If it was working properly before then go to Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.

Restart your computer and download the update from microsoft or else try installing that via IE, Tools > Windows Update. Once you are on the Windows Update site, you will see what updates are available for your OS. If Something is wrong, I advice you to take back up of your important data.

Just because it appears stuck dose not mean the system has crashed ... some updates do take time to properly apply on system shutdown.

Only when all hard drive activity has ceased and the system is still at that screen for more than 6 minutes can one claim the system has possibly frozen.

It is quite safe to turn the unit off at this point by pressing and holding the power button in ... never just turn the system off directly from power point.. one is "soft off" the other is "hard off' ... the later can cause more serious problems.