Thread: Enable Search Non-Indexed Files in Vista Desktop Search 4.0

Enable Search Non-Indexed Files in Vista Desktop Search 4.0

Hi Folks,

I am kind of annoyed with my Windows Vista SP1. my installed Windows Desktop Search 4.0, which is the latest version. Now what happens is if i search in a folder where several files have been copied/updated and have not been indexed yet, the search sucks..the advance settings are not available in every explorer window. .Its only available when search is opened by pressing Win+S. Also, its cumbersome to first drop-down advance settings, check the checkbox and then stop and restart search. but when i do the "Search in non-indexed and system files checkbox in the advance settings dropdown, the files appear. takes much long time

Is there a better way to enable Vista to first search the index and then, if it fails, the rest of the non-indexed and system files, without checking that checkbox, like enabling it by default??

any ideas....

Re: Enable Search Non-Indexed Files in Vista Desktop Search 4.0

Dude it is a reality Certain locations are excluded from indexing by default. These include Applications Data (now a junction point in Vista, not a folder) and \AppData.irrespective of version of Windows or of WDS that you are using.may be You can force an index of selected folders by using the folder Properties dialog in Windows Explorer. Go to the General tab and click the Advanced button. Enable indexing for the folder and click OK. On exiting the Properties dialog, a pop-up will ask you whether to include sub folders or not.If this is a one-time search then you can skip the indexing. Instead, open the advanced search window and choose the option to "include non-indexed, hidden ,and system files" before running the search.

I know one application which is DK Finder it is basically a desktop search program that employs a sophisticated indexing algorithm to deliver lightning fast search results. It is primarily designed to find files on your system but can also search for keywords contained within files. This can also perform a number of excellent file-related functions on search results that go beyond moving and copying to include group-operations, advanced filtering, and exporting results as a collection of shortcuts.

The Index keeps track of the files on your computer and stores information about the files, including the file name, date modified, and properties like author, tags, and rating.for enabling this launch the services from your start menu by typing the same and now next to Startup type click the drop down menu arrow and click on Automatic. apply the changes before exit.but you have to remember If the Windows Search service will not start, then leave it and set to Automatic