Thread: How to disable vista search indexing

How to disable vista search indexing

I am running windows vista on my computer, I have Number of folders on my desktop, which has increased to sizeable number of folders, and to find the particular folder it becomes very difficult, I heard that windows vista has the search indexer facility which enables effective search of folder from the desktop. I enable that but after some time it started getting slows down, which takes lot of time to search folder from the desktop. So now i wanted to disable that feature how do i do that, Please help.

Thanks

Re: How to disable vista search indexing

Vista comes with a new indexing service which improves desktop search. Good desktop search tools index your hard disk only whenever the PC is idle. This seems to be different with Vista. To achieve the fast searching speed, indexing service plays a pivotal role. Windows Vista starts to crawl and index files on hard disks right after installed with a low priority background process.

If you wanted to disable the search indexing from vista you may follow the following steps:

• Go to Start button-> Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> click on the Administrative Tools, and double click on Services applet. Or Alternatively, you need to type “Services” (without quotes) in Start Search box this will be short cut to open services box.
    • If User Account Control asks for permission, click Continue.
    • Locate an service named Windows Search. Right click on Windows Search, and then select Properties on contextual menu.
    • There you will find an option "Stop" press the button to stop the indexing service immediately.
    • On the Startup Type dropdown box, select Disabled.
    • Click on OK button.

You need to go to Control panel by clicking on the Start Menu, in the control panel go to Services icon. You may Find “Windows Search” available in the list of services to open that you need to double-click on it. Change the Startup type of the service to Disabled, and then click the Stop button to stop the service. Check for the service status tab there will be list of services status, Start, stop, pause and Resume. Select stop service and At this point the Windows Search service is completely disabled.