Thread: Windows XP Pro SP3 preinstallation kit

Windows XP Pro SP3 preinstallation kit

Our company has recently purchased Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 from my vendor. We were initially using SP2 on our computer. According to the package I need to install Preinstallation Kit first to get the SP3 to work. But why? Can't I use it without that? If no then where can I find the Windows XP Pro SP3 Preinstallation Kit?

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 preinstallation kit

Are you using OEM edition? Basically OEM installations is used to customized using the Microsoft OEM Preinstallation Kit. OEM) licenses are preinstalled on and sold with pre-assembled computers from system manufacturers. If you have OEM installation then you need it. Otherwise you can skip it and move further.

I think you must have OEM preinstallation kit. If you are using OEM edition then it is either in your original Windows XP CD that came alongwith the computers or it should be included inside the SP3 cd which you recently bought. Just check it and see if you can find.

OEM Preinstallation Kits (OPKs) are valuable system builder tools and offer the following benefits:
    • Help you preinstall software on the systems you build.
    • Enable you to customize the preinstallation with branding, technical support information, and customized applications.
    • Allow you to provide your customers with a unique user experience.

For more information: Microsoft OEM Preinstallation Kits