Thread: Undo raid 0 without loosing data

Undo raid 0 without loosing data

I am using RAID 0. I have two 80 gig maxtor sata drives connected to the promise raid controller on my ASUS A8V deluxe motherboard. After using it for a while, I realize this is not the ideal configuration for what I want to do. These drives are currently operating in RAID but I now want to undo the RAID and operate the drives independently. Is there any safe way to undo de Raid 1 and make a Raid 0 with the same disk but without losing the data with FreeBSD?

Re: Undo raid 0 without loosing data

If you set RAID as a mirrored set,try setting to a striped set,the performance gained over mirrored is substantial,over a IDE set is alot. You will need to back up your data onto another hard drive then undo the RAID array. You will lose all of the data on your RAID array when you remove the array. And for those hard disks which no have partition, all the info is keep along with the operating system.

There is no other way then to back everything up, break the mirror, setup raid 0 and restore your backup. Typically the majority of the users will partition their hair disk to 2 partitions ( OS and Info ), this is to guarantee all their information still remain in the hard disk whilst their operating system partition corrupted. in a raid 0, if you lose 1 harddrive you lose the data on both harddrives. So before changing to that kind of setup buy a tape drive and start a backup procedure that you'll be running on a regular basis.

You need to disconnect the SATA cable from the 2nd drive (leave power in), to make the connection buy a SATA to USB adapter (i found on amazon for about 10 bux), this is the kludgy part...Depends which raid. If its raid-1 you can take them apart and use them separatly without consequences for your data. Instead of plugging in the SATA to the motherboard, plug the other end of the SATA into the converter and the other end of the converter back out of the PC cabinet and into a USB port. If its raid-0, you will lose all data if you break it apart.