Thread: How can i make .cab file and would like to add file to an existing cab file

How can i make .cab file and would like to add file to an existing cab file

I had install Windows Xp on my system. I would like to know that is there an archive manager that will allow me to make a .cab file as well as to add file to an existing cab file? Does any body knows how can i do so? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: How can i make .cab file and would like to add file to an existing cab file

Cabinet (.cab) are used to deliver software packages on to a device. The INF file is a text file that specifies the files (such as DLLs or other OCXs) that need to be present or downloaded for your control to run. An INF file allows you to bundle all the needed files in one compressed CAB file. By default, files with the same version numbers as existing files on the user's hard disk will not be downloaded.

Using QuickCab you can make CAB files easily. If you want copy files or change the registry, it works quite well. Normally, a CAB file contains all necessary files and an “instruction” on how to install them. This “instruction” may contain commands to create/change registry keys, to copy files. A CAB file may contain a special file (hereafter – setup.dll) which contains the install/uninstall scenario.

SKTools allows to create CAB files, view their contents, extract data and perform installation. CAB files can be created with the help of SKTools in two ways: by converting from a REG file or by archiving an installed application. You may also use Winrar for the extraction of a .CAB files or use a integrated CAB extractor in Windows XP for the extraction of an archive to a temporary folder. You can modify or add a new files to this folder and use "Cab Maker" for compressing it to CAB files again. Cab File Maker uses a MSDOS "MAKECAB.EXE" (Included) file for compressing again and also saves and Imports the project from to files with the extension .ddf.