Thread: Asms parameter is incorrect

Asms parameter is incorrect

hello,
    I am getting error when reinstalling xp home on my hard disk. I have formatted in fat32, while copying the installation files a window shows this error:
    Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. Error Message : The parameter is incorrect.

can someone help ?
    thank you

Re: Asms parameter is incorrect

I had same error message following the integration of some patches in my WinXP. The problem was that on one of my original WinXP with no SP integrated the files in the I386 folder of ASMS was not compressed while those of my other WinXP SP2 original, all the files were compressed them to the exclusion of extentions *. MAN. So check in all your folders in ASMS (MSFT, POLICY, WINDOWS ... etc) it is not the same file in 1 compressed and uncompressed (eg COMCTL32.DLL and COMCTL32.DL_) because the *. MAN verify the name and version of each file in the folder. Clearly your record ASMS checks prior to any integration of patches or packages. I hope I was explicit enough or does not hesitate

This issue may occur if the Setup program cannot communicate with the CD-ROM drive.

Try this

1. When you receive the error message, press SHIFT+F10 to start a command session.
    2. Type regedit.exe, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    4. On the File menu, click Load Hive, and then load %Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav.
    5. When you are prompted to specify a name, type Test.
    6. Locate and then click the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    7. Delete the UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS registry keys.
    8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the other ControlSet# keys under the Test hive.
    9. Click File, and then click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
    10. If the path in the error message is the correct drive letter for the CD-ROM drive, click OK to continue the Setup program.
    11. If you receive the error message again, the Setup program cannot correctly read from the CD-ROM drive, or the path information is incorrect. In this case, restart your computer and let the Setup program resume.

also if you have Hard disk formatted with FAT or FAT32 file system then try this http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q311755

This problem can be due to hard drive partition like if you have fat or fat32 also another problem can be ram check that ram working proper if you have multiple ram stick try with alternate ram at time also check for cd rom connection and date cable in case IDE connection.