Thread: Windows Explorer not Responding in Vista, should I upgrade to Windows 7?

Windows Explorer not Responding in Vista, should I upgrade to Windows 7?

My laptop is slowly dying. I can't access any of the directories. If I click on Computer, or any of the drives, the computer locks up and gets the old "Windows Explorer is not Responding" message. I have searched the forums, and found that I have plenty of hardware to be running Vista successfully, I have scanned my computer and there are no viruses or updates to be installed (including drivers), I am running service pack 2, I have turned off my index system and registered my dlls, I have literally tried everything I can try. I can't do a clean install because it's a laptop.

I can't even back up to my external hard drive becasue I can't access the drive without the computer locking up.

After I close everything down on task manager, I have to restart and/or reboot, and even then sometimes windows gets hung and I have to start the process over and over again. Very frustrating. I have checked events log and looked at the bucket errors reports. No repeating patterns really, or anything that stands out.

Task manager does not show any specific drain to the system either.

I feel like my options are:
    1. Back up all documents to CDs and get a new laptop (make sure it runs on XP!)
    2. Upgrade to Windows 7 (I understand this does not require a clean install so I would get to keep my docs). I know a clean install is better for computer but I don't have a way to backup without using CDs, which is not very efficient to say the least.

Any other ideas here?

Re: Windows Explorer not Responding in Vista, should I upgrade to Windows 7?

If you have a desktop computer, network the computer with the laptop and backup everything that you feel is important. Then clean install windows 7. Windows 7 is far too better then Vista. Its faster, has better GUI and is smooth in functioning. But if possible, do a clean install...

Yes, thank you, Einstein, I did see all of those threads prior to posting, and have tried every trick in every one of them mentioned. Seriously. This has been an ongoing problem and I have done lots of research before posting as I did not want to waste anyone's time. Which is why I feel like I have only two options left as I mentioned.

Rudra I only have a laptop and a netbook. I am pretty sure I couldn't access my network anyway, as it is listed as a directory on Computer, and pretty much anything on there, including Recycle Bin is a complete shut down for my laptop. Big problem.

I am backing up to Cds today, taking forever.

Tomorrow, new laptop with XP or W7, or upgrade existing laptop to Windows 7? Or better idea?

So far I haven't heard anything bad about Windows 7. Am I missing something?

tranquil1ty Guest

try to reinstall internet explorer