Thread: Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first

Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first

Hi,

My problem is: I would like to erase (Format) the old drive to clear up space in it but at the same time prefer to convert it to NTSC. Related to C Drive:message says "convert cannot run because the volume is being used by another process. Convert may run if this volune is dismounted first. Can i please get some help with performing this phase. I have windows xp on my pc. I am getting the below error :

Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? yes or no

Re: Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first

This issue occurs when the volume that you are trying to convert is in use, for example, if the drive that you want to convert is the same drive where Windows XP is running. You go through the XP installation and insert the qualifying xp disc when prompted. In doing so, no conversion from FAT32 to NTFS is necessary.You can't format a hard disk/partition from within Windows.

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

2. At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert:
    convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs
    For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS:
    convert e: /fs:ntfs
    Note If the operating system is on the drive that you are converting, you will be prompted to schedule the task when you restart the computer because the conversion cannot be completed while the operating system is running. When you are prompted, click YES.

3. When you receive the following message at the command prompt, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER:
    The type of the file system is FAT.
    Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter

4. When the conversion to NTFS is complete, you receive the following message at the command prompt:
    Conversion complete

5. Quit the command prompt.

Source - Microsoft

The most easy way is to change it by going into my computer and right clicking on that particular hard drive and clicking on properties and it should have a box at the top to name it or you can use Partition Magic software to convert to NTFS without formatting your drive.

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt:
    Code:
    Start - Run - cmd ENTER
    convert c: /fs:ntfs ENTER