Thread: Windows XP installation on a Vista-equipped dual-HDD laptop.

Windows XP installation on a Vista-equipped dual-HDD laptop.

Good day, all!

I own an Acer Aspire 5720Z laptop with dual 80GB HDDs. The machine has Windows Vista Home Premium on it's C:\ drive.

To get all my old apps to work, I tried to install Windows XP on my D:\ drive, but the XP installation won't complete. I've tried changing the boot order to force the PC to read the XP installation disc. It does, but then at a critical point, it tells me that no hard disc drives are installed on the machine.
    Trying to run the installation disc while the PC is fully booted up
    doesn't help, either - the 'Install XP' option ends up greyed out.

I would like to install XP on my D:\ drive without hassle - are there any boffins who can help?

Nick

Re: Windows XP installation on a Vista-equipped dual-HDD laptop.

Windows XP selling product to new computer purchasing has been stopped in order to overcoming Windows Vista. Recently, new computers or laptops product which has the requirement hardware are now capable to use it. It will run, but slow. To make it double faster running OS, we try to use Windows XP.

I had Acer laptop and Acer website provides all of the Windows XP drivers software, including the SATA driver to support the Windows XP installation. So, integrating the bootable installer with the SATA driver software should work.

Check for compatibility for your laptop also you already have Windows Vista Home Premium on it's C:\ drive then you can not able to install windows xp after vista .Order can be xp first then vista another option is change the order of disk that make secondary hard disk primary..

The primary problem with installing operating systems is the partitioning system. Use the Disc Utility to format the XP partition with FAT32, then start boot camp and the XP install, then XP installer will asks if you want to format the disc say yes and do a quick format, to change the partition of windows using fdisk will change the flag, FAT 32 means the system will be a little slower, but doing this works for those having problems installing XP, In order to overcome this, Boot Camp uses both systems, and herein lies the difficulty in dual booting.