Thread: Wrong drive letter assigned to XP, won't boot!

Wrong drive letter assigned to XP, won't boot!

I had Vista installed on Drive C:. Found it too slow, and wanted to go back to XP, During my attempts to get Leopard OSX to run on my laptop, I managed to set my primary partition from C: to E:, meaning that my laptop now attempts to boot Windows from the E: drive. The resulting error message 'operating system missing' on startup is thus of no surprise. Right now, when I start my computer I get the Dell bios revision screen, then the black MS Windows XP screen, and then the blue XP screen. Everything looks normal except that it stops short of the login area.

Re: Wrong drive letter assigned to XP, won't boot!

I will suggest you to "change drive letter and paths". I went to 'control panel'...selected 'admin. tools'...opened 'computer management'...looked to the left and saw 'storage'..there you would get the.'disc management' option on left clicked on that and got the display of all partitions on the disc, their corresponding letters, what's on them, everything. You have a list in the upper portion of the partition assignment window. I think this is the place where you would reassign your program to be on the partition that you want it to be on.

Delete the c: partition/drive. Boot the xp cd via the bios and skip the first repair option. Go to the point of new install or repair the existing then choose repair. This will park the loader files on c: and xp will boot. Copy System and Software restore points from time when the system booted, Delete System and Software files in the System32 config file and paste in the restore versions and rename.

I've managed to delete the other partition and get it back to just the C drive. However, I have a new problem now. I left the drive with Windows XP on it as the only one connected, which I assumed accomplishes the same as what you asked me to do, correct? XP doesn't boot; I had a message on startup relating to ntldr, which after a bit of googling I fixed by copying some files from the xp disc using recovery console.I'm running a third party raid controller to operate my disk drives. When i boot from the Windows disk to do the repair, I have to tell it that I have 3rd party drivers to install Now, the flashing underscore that appears before the windows loading screen initializes is all that appears, and the hard drive light flickers constantly. It's clearly trying to load XP, but it can't seem to do it, and none of the recovery console commands have made a difference.