Thread: where is the windows installer log file

where is the windows installer log file

Hello , Can you Tell me Where Can i Locate the Windows installer Log Files , i mean i have Seen Various Time Several Error Log Being Generated by Could not locate Windows installer Log Files please Help me Thank in advance

Re: where is the windows installer log file

Windows Installer can use logging to help assist in troubleshooting issues with installing software packages. This logging is enabled by adding keys and values to the registry. After the entries have been added and enabled, you can retry the problem installation and Windows Installer will track the progress and post it to the Temp folder. The new log's file name is random, but begins with the letters "Msi" and end with a .log extension. To locate the Temp folder location, type the following line at a command prompt:

cd %temp%

You Can use the Wilogutl.exe , it assists the analysis of log files from a Windows Installer installation, and it displays suggested solutions to errors that are found in a log file.

Non-critical errors are not displayed. Wilogutl.exe can be run in quiet mode or with a user interface (UI). The tool generates reports as text files in both the UI and quiet modes. It works best with verbose Windows Installer log files, but also works with non-verbose logs.

I would like to open MSI file and but every time I launch my this msi file window xp tell me that it windows can not open this file, xp do not know the program that can open the file ,please help me

Go to> Control Panel> Folder Options> File Types tab> select the extension. MSI> and click on Advanced, and set the action "Install" by default.