Thread: Windows XP hangs up when loading AGPCPQ.SYS

Windows XP hangs up when loading AGPCPQ.SYS

I am running Windows XP SP2 on Intel Celron 2.6 along with having with 512mb Ram in it. I'm trying to reinstall Windows Xp, but every time it start to boot. I even can't boot into safe mode. It loads drivers until AGPCPQ.SYS and go to black screen and starts to reboot again. So, can any body tell me that why it get hangs up while loading the drivers until AGPCPQ.SYS appears and go to the black screen? Do i need to install a new video card on my pc? Does any body knows about this issue? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue.

Re: Windows XP hangs up when loading AGPCPQ.SYS

If you have the Windows Xp SP2 bootable disk with you, then you just need to go in to the the command prompt through the Recovery Console and type in fixboot. That's it and your job is done.

Try booting into Enable VGA mode instead of Safe mode. AgpCPQ.sys is not only related to the AGP bus. It is loaded by Windows after MUP.sys in safe mode.That loads Windows normally except it forces the video into a basic VGA mode that all video hardware supports, and the specific drivers for your video hardware are not loaded. If that gets you to the desktop, you can then un-install the video drivers in Add/Remove programs and then re-install them.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps to disable the Agp440.sys service.

Important:- You must know the administrator password to complete the following procedure. If you do not know the administrator password, contact your system administrator. After you complete this procedure, any video adapter driver you have installed will be disabled, and Windows XP will use default VGA drivers.

1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify the BIOS, see your computer documentation.
    2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
    5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
    6. Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
    7. Press ESC.
    8. Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
    9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
    10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
    12. Log on to your computer.

Windows XP includes default video drivers that make it possible for your monitor to work. However, some features may not work as you expect with these default drivers. Update your motherboard chipset video drivers periodically. To do so, visit your computer manufacturer's Web site, and download the most recent drivers for your video adapter.

My XP Pro system was hanging with the last step showing agpcpq.sys -the problem described here.

The solution provided by jesse worked for me.

I couldn't find the boot disk for XP Pro, but I had a boot disk for XP Home. I was able to complete jesse's instructions sucessfully after booting with the XP Home disk.

You can try system restore using the XP's recovery console.