Thread: How to use Defrag.exe tool to defragment a hard disk on a Windows server 2008

How to use Defrag.exe tool to defragment a hard disk on a Windows server 2008

I have just upgraded my workstation to Windows Server 2008 Standard x64, this is to satisfy the requirement of server level configuration, and I've noticed that the availability of the command line defrag.exe. So i think i need to use the defragmentation tool Defrag.exe and to go with this i need to have your suggestion in this matter.

Re: How to use Defrag.exe tool to defragment a hard disk on a Windows server 2008

You may ofcourse use the Defrag.exe for your requirement as it does not harm your data if you are sure about it, before you should start with your defragmentation you just need to keep some DOS command with you so that you need to stuck anywhere.

defrag <volume> [-a] [-f] [-v] [-?]
    volume drive letter or mount point (d: or d:\vol\mountpoint)
    -a Analyze only
    -f Force defragmentation, even if free space is low
    -v Verbose output
    -? Display this help text

Re: How to use Defrag.exe tool to defragment a hard disk on a Windows server 2008

for this issue you need to download the hotfix that is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is related to Defrag.exe. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. or else you may get the hotfix file anywhere fro the Internet.

You may also use the .bat file, which will run a piece of code for you, You will also need to open the Windows command shell (cmd.exe). The command shell will help you nail the syntax of the operation.
    • Go to srart, run cmd, In the command prompt window, enter the following:
      C:> defrag.exe /?
      The help window will get open for defrag.exe, and there it would show the syntax you need to run the application and any optional switches.
    • To keep it simple and to restrict the defrag operation to one drive, you need to enter the syntax for our batch file into the text editor as follows:
      Defrag.exe c: -f
    • Once you have done this Save that text file with a name and the .bat file extension.
    • Now from there you need to select all files in the file types drop down.