Thread: Linux system does not support ntfs

Linux system does not support ntfs

Hello,

I would like to access windows NTFS partition drive through Linux, Does Linux 7.3 like such older versions can not recognize NTFS file system and so I could not share my data between Linux and Windows XP? I need your help..

Re: Linux system does not support ntfs

Yes. You need to use NTFS-3G 1.2506 or later and the FUSE kernel module from the FUSE 2.5.3 package. For example by using LILO, the same way as with any other filesystem: copy the Linux boot files to NTFS, configure /etc/lilo.conf then run lilo.

The Linux kernel must be upgraded either to at least version 2.6.20, or the FUSE kernel driver must be upgraded to a safe version which is also included in the FUSE package for Linux kernel version 2.6.9 and later.

You can do it in the following ways :

1. Creating a symbolic link, as shown below, is reported to solve automount on many distributions.

Code:
    ln -s /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g /sbin/mount.ntfs
    2. If you use KDE and get the "TODO: have to rethink extra options" error message then open `media:/' in Konqueror, choose `Storage Media', right click the removable device, select 'Properties', select the 'Mounting' tab then unselect the 'Mount as user' option.

3. There is a great utility, called ntfs-config, which is reported to work fine on at least Ubuntu.

Linux NTFS provides Linux kernel drivers, a multiplatform NTFS library, and tools to create, resize, clone, rescue, query, label and fix NTFS volumes, and to undelete, resize, list, and query files for the filesystem used by Windows XP, 2003, 2000, NT4, and Longhorn.

Linux NTFS also provides support for the Logical Disk Manager (LDM) that controls Windows Dynamic Disks and is used to create software mirrors, stripes, and RAID.

Download : Linux NTFS 1.13.1