Thread: How to change drive location ?

How to change drive location ?

Hi

I install windows xp3 on my computer last week. On my computer i also install removable hard drive which location is H i want to change the location from H to E. can anyone know how to do that ?

Thanks

Re: How to change drive location ?

Yes you can change location name
    Go to the my computer and right on my computer click on manage then select storage after that click on disk management now just right click and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Login into the admin account and follow the steps

• Control Panel
    • Administrative Tools
    • Computer Management
    • Disk Manqagement
    • right click on drive letter
    • Click on Change Drive Letter and Path.

Remove any cloned hard disks added to your computer since the time the logon failures occurred, restart your computer, and then try to log on. If the computer is networked, run Regedit.exe on another computer to open and modify the registry of the computer that is experiencing the logon failure. Use the information in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to change the drive letter back to the original letter assigned to the boot partition.

If the computer is networked, run Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe on another computer to open and modify the registry of the computer that is experiencing the logon failure. Change the following entry to remove the full path to the Userinit.exe entry as follows:

Change from:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\Userinit:Reg_SZ:C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe
    Change to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\Userinit:Reg_SZ:userinit.exe

After you change the preceding registry entry and are able to logon, perform the steps in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to re-assign the proper drive letter to your boot partition and reboot:

Create a "fake" Winnt\System32 folder structure on the drive that is suspected as being assigned the original boot partition drive letter, and then expand and copy the Userinit.exe file from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM into the Winnt\System32 folder on that drive.