Thread: Maximum Memory in 32-bit Windows 7

Maximum Memory in 32-bit Windows 7

Is it possible that adding new memory to windows 7 will make it faster faster and more expensive (What's new) but would optimize data transfer better. The newer MOBO's will have faster FSB's too. What is the max memory supported by Windows 7? I want to increase ram size to 4GB or more. Please suggest me .....

Re: Maximum Memory in 32-bit Windows 7

If the hardware can support addressing beyond 32-bit, then the limitation indeed is the OS when its one of Microsoft's crippled PAE editions. It depends on your computer workload. If you run many high resource apps and/or virtual OS's then 64-bit is almost a requirement for the extra memory. The things to remember are, use the fastest memory your motherboard supports. You'll likely never need more than 1 Giga-byte. Keep in mind that software will enhance your available memory by using hard-drive space to swap files as well.

The maximum limit of 32 bit windows 7 is 4 gb, but other resources require addressing, so the maximum memory you can use is around 3 gb. Compared to Windows XP, and in the case of linux compared to older 32bit installations, i must say that i'm very pleased with them, and that i think to profit from the additional 4GB ram i installed recently. I am pretty sure you will have to load up XP 64bit for the OS to see/address anything over 4GB.

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. While the maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB, when it comes to the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can address depends on which edition you are running. And if you add another 1GB of RAM to your computer, you should be able to experience the full power of it only if your on Windows 7 64-bit.
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="????" /3GB