Thread: Computer Turns on Automatically

Computer Turns on Automatically

Hi,
    I have a windows xp machine with c2d processor and 2 GB of ram. When I give shutdown to the system it turns on automatically after a particular interval of time. I do not understand what the reason behind these. The problem arise from last few days. I normally shutdown then I does not power it off completely from the main socket. Then it reboots after some 15/20 minutes. This I think is a serious issue. Please Help.

Re: Computer Turns on Automatically

Have you checked your power settings. Right click on the Desktop and select Properties. Then go to Screen Saver tab and click on Power. Go to advance option and then see the option below. You will see a question below stating that when I click on shutdown then, something like that. Check weather that the shutdown option is selected form the drop down list. You can access the same option from Control Panel > Power Option.

Restart your system and enter the BIOS settings. Check each and every option. Disable wake up on network. When you give the shut down option then it means that your system is going on standby instead of getting shut down. This is due to the wake up option. Also check out all the other power option. It is also possible that your PSU can be damaged.

Possibilities of BIOS corruption. I think your BIOS has corrupted. You will need to flash your BIOS. Otherwise before that run your system under full scan in safe mode. Some virus and malware cause the BIOS corruption which alter windows booting service. If you found any then delete them. Or if the problem persist again then I think you will have to format your system.