Thread: Switch Gateway from Vista to XP

Switch Gateway from Vista to XP

Hello every one

My friend's Gateway 5404 computer which is originally Vista Home Premium but because of lot graphics usage it dumping me.determined to install of XP Pro Service Pack 2,but it gives a blue screen during XP setup when attempted to do anything with the partition(s) on the drive.I guess it's a SATA drive.thinking problem with the hard drive replace the drive with a fresh one but it shows only one partition on the drive. If tries to delete again blue screens. If press Enter to install it blue screens.

Guess it's setupd.sys.can i assume the problem is a scarcity of SATA drivers with XP SP2 for this chipset.

Any thoughts??

Re: Switch Gateway from Vista to XP

You mentioned the hard drive is a SATA drive,but the issue with XP is that it won't recognize the hard drive since there are no drivers for it. When you hit the F6 key, the application will be searching for the drivers on a floppy it's again an problem with XP because floppy drives too does not exist with the computer

First thing to do on your SATA drivers Go to Device Manager and then pull down "Controllers IDE ATA / ATAPI IDE"
    You will normally see the name of your SATA controller now find your matching driver from internet and download also Nlite

Start nlitement in the next window you have to select the location of Windows XP, insert Windows XP CD into your player and then click nlitement, select your CD drive.If your Windows XP is one. "Iso", select it, click "Next."and specify the location where you need nlitement that makes Windows XP amendment. make a new folder on the desktop with the name "Windows update" and choose this location.which will copy your CD / iso Windows XP in "Windows update" on the desktop. you are fee to select an options to burn the CD automatically at the end.The CD is bootable automatically! You just need to select "Bootable ISO".
    Select "Driver" and then "Next".next you have to "Insert / Driver Single" and search for your folder "Driver" and select the file. Inf now you almost done now your Windows XP may recognize your hard drive SATA

dude,
    I meant to tell you if you are using original factory equipment there might be no problems and could boot normally.but when you install an aftermarket drive,it may end up with havoc. install SATA drivers when using a SATA drive