Thread: Wuauclt.exe eating my CPU memory

Wuauclt.exe eating my CPU memory

I have a laptop running Windows 2000. I noticed strangely,my machine almost using 99% of the CPU is being used by wuauclt.exe running from c:\winnt\temp, while i was visitig various web sites

i am aware of this Windows auto-update program, but am wondering this should run from c:\winnt\system32. now I can't end up the process in the Task Manager, but my Killbox canl, after which the laptop was fine until reboot, at which point the .exe is recreated and restarted.my anti virus detected and deleted MS_update_0612_KB76062.exe, which I know is a Trojan, but it is not about stay away from the system...

any help would really appreciated.!!
    thanks for reading me

re: Wuauclt.exe eating my CPU memory

Wuauclt.exe is Windows Update AutoUpdate Client to check for available updates from Microsoft Update. The wuauclt.exe file is included in the Task Manager’s list of active processes when it is waiting for a response or an action to be performed by the user., the wuauclt.exe file also search for MS Windows-based software and hardware updates. These updates can help a user avoid stability issues and even security risks or system vulnerabilities. how could you know the above program is a trojan anyway?
    did you try a system restore to set back back the system to normal...

First of all i need to tell you to update Windows Updates completely and avail all service packs and security updates for your operating system.this will make your system comfortable. also Please download ATF Cleaner and run the program.choose Select All from Main and click the Empty Selected button.
    this program will keep your machine clean

Dr. V Guest

Launch Windows File Search Tool to Find wuauclt.exe Path
    When Windows finishes your search, hover over the "In Folder" of "wuauclt.exe", get the path into the address bar. Save the file's path on
    Use Windows Task Manager to Remove wuauclt.exe Processes
    Select the "wuauclt.exe" process and click on the "End Process" button to end up.remove the "wuauclt.exe" processes files
    launch command prompt
    Type in "dir /A name_of_the_folder" will show the folder's content type in "cd name_of_the_folder" to change directory. Once you have the file you're looking for type in "del name_of_the_file". To delete a file in folder, type in "del name_of_the_file". type in "rmdir /S name_of_the_folder".to delete the entire folder
    select the "wuauclt.exe" process and click on the "End Process" button to end up
    good luck