Thread: Windows 7 default users location

Windows 7 default users location

Hello, I have recently installed Windows 7 RC on my pc. I have created 2 user accounts, ony for my sister and other for my little brother giving them limited privileges. However, I was wondering at the time of installation Windows 7 creates a default user account but I was not able to find it anywhere in C Drive for some reasons. So can anyone tell me where is the Windows 7 default users location? Thank you

Re: Windows 7 default users location

The default location of user profile in Windows 7 is in c:\users folder. If you want to change the default location to another partition for setting up your profile again then follow the steps below:

1. Copy the original Default profile folder in c:\users to the new location.

2. Copy the original Public profile folder in c:\users to the new location.

3. Open Registry Editor by type regedit from command line, and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

4. Change the value of the Default, Public, Profile Directory keys to the new location accordingly.

5. Log off. From this point on, any new user logged in to this computer will have a new user profile that’s located in the new location.

Source: windows7hacker.com
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Try using Windows 7's Library feature? The Music, Pictures, and Documents Library folders in Windows 7 are actually just symbolic collections of other folders you specify. For example, you could have any files listed in: C:\*, C:\*\Documents, C:\Users\*\Documents all listed in your Windows 7 Documents folder. All you'd have to do is right-click Documents on the Start Menu, go to Properties, click Include a folder, then point it to the one you'd like to include. You could even set C:\* as the default save folder, so any docs you write from now on out will go in there. It's sort of like moving your Documents folder, and would work for Pictures and Music as well.

* Note: profile name

Is your C drive the drive where windows 7 is installed to or another partition? If it's on another partition then it will give you that error since that's another setup especially if your username is a bit different.

You also don't save in the C drive often, the folders dedicated for user data (aka C:\Users\*user*\ ) folders are the places where data would normally go so i think it's part of Windows trying to protect itself.

When you click OK you are editing the permissions of the folder and adding yourself with rights. By default i think only "System" has full control over the folder while all others have Read/Traverse and other "Special" permissions.
    No TechArena No Experts, Know TA know Experts!