Thread: Problems with vista remote access

Problems with vista remote access

I have Windows Vista on two computers. I use one computer only for multimedia and gaming and other computer for other purposes like, burning cd/dvd and other file functions. When i access the other computer by remote access, i cannot burn the CDs. It tells me : "If you are running Nero burning software via windows remote login, you might not be able to access your drives for burning. This is a security restriction for windows." Why cannot i use nero from remote desktop? Can anyone help me solve Problems with vista remote access? Help..!

Re: Problems with vista remote access

Ok, first you need to go to the computer on which the writer exist. Now check if you can burn cd/dvd locally. If not, then your drive is at problem, But if you can burn it, you have some other problem related to group policy. You need to tweak and make some changes for remote desktop users group. Also see the microsoft help : http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c1033.mspx#E1H

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, I just went through the microsoft article, but i think its for the default windows burning software. I wan't to use nero to burn CD/DVD. Is there any other work around for this? Please help.

Windows OS blocks the access to removable storage in Remote Desktop Session. To enable direct access to removable storage in remote sessions :

To open Group Policy Object Editor, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, type gpedit.msc in the Search box, and then click gpedit.msc in the list of search results.

• In Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, and then click Removable Storage Access.
    • Double-click the following setting: All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions.
    • In the All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions dialog box, click Enabled, and then click OK. Close Group Policy Object Editor.
    • To apply the updates to Group Policy, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, type Command Prompt in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt in the search results, and then click Run as administrator. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • At the command prompt, type gpupdate.exe, and then press Enter. This updates Group Policy and applies the new setting.

After enabling the appropriate Group Policy setting, you can burn a CD or DVD over a remote session by performing the following steps.

• Open Remote Desktop Connection by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Remote Desktop Connection.
    • In Computer, type the name of the computer that you want to connect to, and then click Connect. (You can also type the IP address instead of the computer name, if you want.)
    • Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Computer, and then double-click the CD or DVD burner.
    • Choose the appropriate disc format, and then burn a disc as usual. For more information about burning a CD or DVD, see Burn a CD or DVD.