Thread: How to Recover existing Mint 9?

How to Recover existing Mint 9?

Hello friends, I was bit irritated with Vista, I cleaned my Windows system and I then try to install the Linux Mint 9. No trouble, however I missed several things regarding Windows. Thus I get an essential Windows 7 disc like system developers utilize and then installed it by means of VirtualBox. I didn't like that, and then lastly shaped out how to partition my 500 GB drive. I left my Mint 9 Operating System together on a 63GB partition and after that Windows 7 overloaded very well. After that, I understand that I had not agreed myself some mode to access my Mint 9 system. And it's entire customized and developed. I have lastly succeeded in creating a bootable USB with an additional Mint 9 on it, which is what I am functioning from now. However, is there some method to acquire back to the Mint 9 OS I've I'm not scientific enough to crack this. Please help.

Re: How to Recover existing Mint 9?

Try to carry on with these steps, what you can perform is try to boot up by means of a live CD and open a terminal
    Code:
    Code: Select all
    sudo update-grub
    With the help of this command, you may find out any of the Operating System on to the Drives and then you can create the Menu at the startup. Hope this helps to carry on with the further steps. And then inform what happens with it.

After performing the steps given above, I got the answer that:
    mint@mint ~ $ select all
    > sudo update-grub
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `sudo'
    mint@mint ~ $
    I as well tried entering the command without any "select all" and also with no "sudo" and I displayed the pop regarding was /dev mounted or not, and as well that I wanted to be "root". I thought possibly I was hypothetical to modify to the root directory, which I've been told is / so I did that, however still got comparable error messages. I can observe the directory of files where my original Mint 9 is situated, but can't run it.

Now you may try is this:
    gksudo update-grub
    After that what happens with that, I am not very sure related to this rather let us try and check what happens to it. Also If you still have a live CD then you can start through that CD and here must be a recover present Operating System option. I would have give this a try.

Initially you should need to have the LIVE CD if you desire going to recover an Linux Mint or the Ubuntu Box. Then Download the Ubuntu Jaunty, Karmic whatsoever you desire. Open the system by means of the Live CD After that press Alt+F2 and then enter gnome-terminal command. And go on by entering tha command:
    Code:
    $sudo fdisk -l
    This will show the partition table of the system.
    After that you should have to mount Linux (sda1 at this point), I have no exterior boot partition as you can observe:
    Code:
    $sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    $sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    $sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    After that write the command but this is non-compulsory. It will just copies the resolv.conf.
    Code:
    $sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
    At this instant chroot into the environment which we completed:
    Code:
    sudo chroot /mnt
    alter the /etc/default/grub file to fit your system.
    Code:
     #nano -w /etc/default/grub
    Play with the alternatives if you would like. at the present install/recover Grub2 via :
    Code:
    #grub-install /dev/sda
    though you might acquire errors with that code then make use of the command :
    Code:
    #grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
    at this time you can exit the chroot, umount the system and restart your system:
    Code:
    #exit
    $sudo umount /mnt/dev
    $sudo umount /mnt/proc
    $sudo umount /mnt
    $sudo reboot