Thread: Error : the specified path does not exist

Error : the specified path does not exist

Task manager in windows xp system is not working properly. When i press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to view the process running in background it shows nothing. I can't open task manager from run. The TASKMGR.EXE file for task manager is available in system but when i click on that file error message with pop up comes "Specified path does not exist". Is there any virus which shows message "Specified path does not exist". Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Error : the specified path does not exist

This error may have to do with a conflict with another application that is installed on your PC. Follow the steps below to work around this issue.
    • create a new user, give them administrative privleges, log in as that user, try opening a program. Create a shortcut on the desktop to that application.
    • Right click the shortcut and choose properties
    • On the general Shortcut Tab click the Advanced button
    • Check the box for Run in Separate memory space
    • Press OK and Apply and launch the Setup by double clicking the shortcut.

Doesn't necessarily mean a virus, but could be any of hundreds of legitimate programs that could cause the issue. Check BIOs for hotkey assign to other task, like power save. Check TSR in XP make sure nothing hooking CAD.

The taskmgr.exe file may be corrupted. You can try to copy that file from another computer. If you have the Windows installation CD,perform a repair installation after repairing windows, create a new user account, and then try to run task manager.

Yeah I have the sim2 and sims 3 on my computer and I am trying to install sims characters on sims 2 and I get that message. Is this because I have sims 2 and 3 installed at the same time? I have had this problem on my other computer as well so I don't think it has to do with sims 2 and 3 but how do I get rid of that error?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaolinite24 View Post
    Yeah I have the sim2 and sims 3 on my computer and I am trying to install sims characters on sims 2 and I get that message. Is this because I have sims 2 and 3 installed at the same time? I have had this problem on my other computer as well so I don't think it has to do with sims 2 and 3 but how do I get rid of that error?
    I think that the sims 2 and sims 3 game installed in your computer might be conflicting and that is why you might be getting the error? By the way how are you trying to install the sims characters on sims 2 game? Once you have downloaded the Sims characters on your machine and that file should be downloaded in the Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads folder. Check the file type of the thing you downloaded should be a Sims2Pack. So, just click on it twice to start the installation to your game.