Thread: Vista reinstallation doesnt work.

sad Vista reinstallation doesnt work.

Hi, my friend has a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop running Vista Home Basic. The other day the lid was closed without shutting down, when she come to turn the laptop back on it would get as far as the windows splash screen and either hang there forever or try and repair itself and again this is unsuccessful everytime. I tried the diagnostics they all come back fine, tried to boot into safe mode but when loading up the drivers it would hang on BTHidmgr.sys. I did everything possible and nothing seemed to work. I did however manage to install Xp and changing from SATA to ATA. Someone mentioned that maybe it come with XP and was upgraded to Vista thats why I cannot reinstall Vista. But if thats the case then why do I have a reinstallation vista disk. Can anyone suggest anything as Im at wit end with it.

Many thanks in advance. Also please do not hesistate to get in touch if more information is needed.

Re: Vista reinstallation doesnt work.

You have a Vista disc with you so the laptop had Vista in it. Boot from the disc and repair install Vista that should work. If that doesn't help, just clean install Vista. You can get the help for re-installing windows vista here : How To Clean Install Windows Vista From Upgrade DVD

If you did install of XP to Vista Upgrade pack then yes you won't be able to reinstall the Vista, you have to perform the same procedure as you did before, install the XP and then install the Upgrade install to Vista. Otherwise you need a Vista Clean Installation DVD (Not The Upgrade installation) .

Hello thanks for getting back to me.

I have tried to run the installation of vista again when Xp was up and running and it still didnt work. I have also tried the repairs on the disk also a clean installation and that doesnt work either.

Try this Solution : Try to format the main drive with a bootable disk. But first delete whole drive. Means Make it Raw & then install a fresh copy of that Windows which you require to install.

OR

It might be that your harddisk might have god corrupted. So it might be working.

Well you need to go for a complete clean install of Windows Vista. Boot from DVD, repartition and see if you can go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    Well you need to go for a complete clean install of Windows Vista. Boot from DVD, repartition and see if you can go through...
    Hello,

I have tried to do a clean install many of times but it didnt work. I dont understand why I can install Xp fine but cant reinstall Vista back on. iot doesnt make any sense and its driving me round the bend trying to figure it out.

You clean Installed Windows XP, Now your hard disk must have nothing then Windows XP, right, so now you want to install Vista, boot from Vista dvd and install it in other partition... This must do the work... Don't force me to suspect there is something wrong with your disk...

Dr. V Guest

Make sure you have the most current and correct drivers. Try to check out whether there is an install.log file or something similar (uninstall.dat, etc.) in the program's folder. Try to find out where the program put its various files. If you can track them down, then try to remove the program from the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    You clean Installed Windows XP, Now your hard disk must have nothing then Windows XP, right, so now you want to install Vista, boot from Vista dvd and install it in other partition... This must do the work... Don't force me to suspect there is something wrong with your disk...
    hello,

Well thats correct there is only XP on there, there are 3 partitions, ones recovery, media direct andthe normal C: I presume the only one I can install Vista on is the C: ???

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. V View Post
    Make sure you have the most current and correct drivers. Try to check out whether there is an install.log file or something similar (uninstall.dat, etc.) in the program's folder. Try to find out where the program put its various files. If you can track them down, then try to remove the program from the registry.
    I will try this later on when I get home to see if thats the case with these. When you mean program what program are you referring to? Im sorry to sound so dumb lol.

Quote Originally Posted by emma_l_j View Post
    hello,

Well thats correct there is only XP on there, there are 3 partitions, ones recovery, media direct andthe normal C: I presume the only one I can install Vista on is the C: ???
    In this case, USe Windows XP and take a backup of all that you know is important for you, all the data to either an external Hard disk or burn them all to DVD. Specially the drivers folder. Then Install Windows XP again, make sure you delete the partitions and create new ones as it suites you. In the first partition Windows XP will go and once that is done, Install Vista on the Other Partition... Now this will work... The partitions were the culprits...