Thread: How to install an iso without burning

How to install an iso without burning

I had installed Windows Xp as my operating system. Is there any where way by which i can install in ISO format without burning the disc. Is it possible for me to do so? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: How to install an iso without burning

According to me Alcohol and Daemon Tools are excellent software packages that allow users to mount ISO files as virtual CD-ROMs. Yes, there is a way to use that ISO without burning it to a disk.

Yes, you can surely do it, but for that you need to download a copy of winrar or any other archive program. For your kind information an iso file is nothing more than an archive. You need to just open the *.iso with the archive program and find the install file, then you need to double click and just follow the instruction.

It might be probably possible on the hard way if you allready have some running system on it and you are not installing over it, but to an other location. (eg. Knoppix should do; but if you don't have knoppix yet, you can as easily burn one FC disk).

If you want, you can follow the below steps mention.

1. First of all you need to copy VCdRom.sys to your %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder.
    2. Then you need to execute VCdControlTool.exe
    3. Then just click on the Driver control.
    4. If the “Install Driver” button is available, then yolu need to click on it. Then navigate to the %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder and select VCdRom.sys, and then click on Open.
    5. Afterwards click on Start.
    6. After that click on OK tab.
    7. Then click on Add Drive to add a drive to the drive list. Then ensure that the drive added is not a local drive. If it is, continue to click on Add Drive until an unused drive letter is available.
    8. Then you need to select an unused drive letter from the drive list and afterwards click on Mount.
    9. Then just navigate to the image file and select it and afterwards click on OK tab. UNC naming conventions should not be used, however mapped network drives should be OK.

You may now use the drive letter as if it were a local CD-ROM device. When you are finished you may unmount, stop, and remove the driver from memory using the driver control.

Just unarchive the iso using 7z or winrar to a folder and then run the setup.exe (or equivalent) from that folder.