Thread: How to control WMP from taskbar in windows 7

How to control WMP from taskbar in windows 7

As you all know we were able to control Windows Media Player right from the taskbar in previous versions of windows like XP and all, I mean when i minimize the opened WMP it just go dock into the Quick Launch bar. But now i am using Windows 7 and not able to find this function in this operating system. Is there any way we can do the same in windows 7 as well ? Please let me know..

Re: How to control WMP from taskbar in windows 7

Well, fortunately we have a trick to do that. just go through this simple steps:-

Go to Start and open command prompt. Type services.msc in the command and press Enter.Now right-click on "Windows Media Player Network Sharing" service and select "Stop".Now just take the ownership of the following files:-

• All files starting with wmp in "Windows\System32" folder
    • wmploc.dll.mui file in "Windows\System32\en-US" folder
    • "Windows Media Player" folder in "Program Files" folder

Now just download this file and extract it and run the extracted EXE file.This will try to install WMP and will prompt you to restart the system. Press No and finish the installation.Now open regedit and locate the following folder:-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup
    That 's it. You are done.Start your system again and is ready for the version of WMP 11 and WMP toolbar in the taskbar in Windows 7 to enjoy.

Yes, that is possible in windows 7 as well.All you need do is just hanging on the tab of Windows Media Player on the Taskbar System, the test window that appears for Windows Media Player options to your Windows Media Player control. However, provided the checks - Previous Track very basis, Play / Pause, Next Track. It is the purpose and is really good for a change

Thanks for the quick reply buddy. I really needed that lot. I tried much to do so since a long time but no response. But i finally got it here. I appreciate your valuable help. Thank you !!

I guess a word of warning is appropriate here. There have been users who had followed the steps outlined by Lillebror, and reported back that it broke their WMP installation, requiring them to do a full reinstall of Windows 7.

So if anyone still wants to try this, I would definitely recommend to create a system restore point first. Note that downgrading WMP on Windows 7 is completely unsupported, so if it goes wrong, and the restore point doesn't help, you are probably on your own.

Also, I haven't tried them myself, but it looks to me that these steps are only for 32-bit versions of Windows 7, and not for 64-bit versions.