Thread: How to use Toolbox 2.0 in erase process of SSD?

How to use Toolbox 2.0 in erase process of SSD?

I am using SATA solid state drive as storage device to my system which I am using since last three years. I am having problem with the storage device so I want to erase the storage device completely. So I was using Intel toolbox 2.0 for doing this process. But not getting the solution as it is showing message “ATA security is enable”. Now I am confused what do I do to get the proper solution for the issue? Please help me.

Re: How to use Toolbox 2.0 in erase process of SSD?

For doing this erase you need to do the following steps so that you will get the desired solution. But remember this will erase your all data that you have in your system. So to get the solution just follow the following steps which I am providing you below:
    • Make sure that the security for the device is not in the frozen state and use the following command
      Code:
      hdparm -I /dev/X
      where X is stand for the device. It will return you something like this
    • After entering the command you will receive the state of the device that it is in the frozen state or not. If it is showing you frozen state then you cannot continue the process.
    • After this step enable the security by setting the password. After setting the password the drive will be cached upto the next power cycle. You can use the command for stting the password
      Code:
      hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass 12345/dev/X
      . This will give the output like security_password="12345 ".
    • Now provide the ATA secure erase command:
      Code:
      time hdparm --user-master u --security-erase 12345/dev/X
    I think this will be helpful to you to get the solution.

I think I may be able to help you to get the desired solution I think the problem you have can be overcome by using some ATA secure erase tools. Which have many features some of them I am describing below:
    • Today the modern hard disk allows the user to enter the password when the system is started.
    • These password can be entered by the computers BIOS or the tool used by the user i.e. third party tool.
    • This password is stored in the computer’s hard disk do that it will not mix up with the computers BIOS password.
    • You can specify two passwords each of with only 32bytes.
      1. User password
      2. Master password.
    • The most important point is that the data is not encrypted on the drive.

I have a tool kit which you can use to erase the SSD and I think that it will work to get the solution. I am providing some features of the software.
    • It has system configuration tuner.
    • Also have the ability which help you to get secured erase on the Intel branded SSD”s. You can eras the SSD which provide no partition as it is not the system boot to the drive.
    • I have tried this software and got some better compatibility as I am also using an Intel SSD which is connected to the non Intel SATA controller. You can download the software from the Intel’s download center.