Thread: Move printer spool directory in Windows

Move printer spool directory in Windows

I use printer spool directory in my XP to store all the print images for a day so that i can use the Reports/Batch Printing tab to pull all the letters. But as i need to free up some space from my system drive i need to move this printer spool directory to some other drive. Could you guys guide me for the same ? Please help.

Re: Move printer spool directory in Windows

Spool directory allows Windows to quickly return control to a program after a document is printed.But it is better to relocate print spooler directory to dedicated disk or disk array (Raid 0) in your Print server. This will increase printing performance considerably. To do so, just go through this simple steps:-

• Open the command prompt from the Start menu or simply press Ctrl + R and type regedit.
    • Now locate the following folder:-
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Print \ Printers
    • Here on the right side, you will see DefaultSpoolDirectory. Just select Modify option from the drop down list by right clicking on it.
    • In the Edit String dialog box change the value that is in the "Value Data" section to the full path of the new Printer Spool directory
    • Thats it. Now click ok and close the registry. Reboot the machine to effect the changes.

Dr. V Guest

You can also move the printer spool directory easily from the control panel. To do that, see this:-

1. In Control Panel, double-click Printers and Faxes.

2. On the File menu, click Server Properties, and then click the Advanced tab.

3. In the Spool Folder box, type the path that you want to use, and then click OK.

The alternate way to do the same is, Simply go to the drive where you want to move it. Click on make a new folder under File and Folder Tasks and in the name box assigned it with a name. Now click on the Printers and Faxes in the Start menu and On the File menu, click Server Properties. Now go to the Advanced tab and in the Spool folder box, type the complete path to the new folder that you created and click apply. Here you will get a message. Just click on Yes and than Ok. Thats it. You are done.