Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Format a drive in ext3 from windows

Operating Systems

Old 17-06-2009

Format a drive in ext3 from windows

hi
I want to format hard disk with Linux Ext3 partition, currently i am having windows vista on my first partitions NTFS and i am looking for Ubuntu on the other partition so i need the way to format WIndows drive to ext3 please can some one help me also my other problem is my Usb harddisk with
Ext3 partition. i want to Recover data from external usb hard disk with Linux Ext3 partition but i cant see partition in window can somone help me ?

Thank you

Old 17-06-2009

Re: Format a drive in ext3 from windows

for usb drive its not possible to read data with window so use a Linux live CD to read external ext3 drive then boot up into it and move the your data to your own hard drive ...it is probably the easiest.
Old 17-06-2009

Linux systems use a different disk formatting Windows. Called Ext2 or Ext3, this file can not be read by Windows partition using NTFS or FAT. so if you want to use an external hard drive formatted with a Linux system you can not read its content from Windows.

Fortunately, a small free utility allows you to address this problem: fs-driver

With fs-driver access an external hard drive formatted as ext2 or ext3, you can easily download fs-driver and install it on your Windows machine (XP, Vista, Server 2003, Server 2008, etc..), And connect your external hard drive. Beware of tick the option that allows you to automatically assign a letter to the new drives, and connect your USB hard drive, it will automatically appear in your workstation.

Only small restriction on fs-driver: it supports only the Ext2 format. Ext3 is backward compatible with ext2, you can still read and write on your Ext3 partitions without problems, but you lose the benefits of as Ext3 .
Old 17-06-2009

I think partition magic can help you for Format a drive in ext3 from windows but its not free , another option is Explore2fs to access ext3 from windows . Explore2fs is a GUI explorer tool for accessing ext2 and ext3 file systems. It runs under all versions of Windows and can read almost any ext2 and ext3 file system.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,