Thread: Explorer crashes at start up on Windows 98

Explorer crashes at start up on Windows 98

I'm still using the old Windows 98 as my operating system on my pc. The problem is that during startup my Windows explorer gives out a fatal error message on my desktop screen and then it get close down automatically on my pc. It keep on crashing whenever i reboot my system and i have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del keys in order to shut down the running application on my pc. Can any body tell me that why does my windows explorer keeps on crashing on my Windows 98? Does any body knows about this issue? Kindly help me out to get rid of the above issue.

Re: Explorer crashes at start up on Windows 98

Have you installed any new software on your pc? Try to boot up your system in Safe Mode and then you need to try out scandisk and defrag utilities on your pc. If ii case it doesn't work out for you, then you need to first turn on your pc by holding down the CTRL key. Then from start up menu you need to select command prompt and then you need to type in "scanreg/restore" and afterwards a window will appear with some dates on your pc. These will give you out the correct date of your windows load on your pc. Then you need to select the date on which you had a good windows load by inserting the select bar on it and the need to press enter key.

In order to get rid of the baove issue, you can try to extract the explorer.exe file from your install-CD and then you need to copy it on another hard drive. Try to do this only when you have a proper DOS environment on your pc and not the normal DOS-window.

Dr. V Guest

Try to restore your last good registry settings on your pc, by going into DOS mode. For that you need to follow the below steps mention.
    1. Try to go to DOS mode and then you need to go to "c:windows folder".
    2. Then you need to rename your old registry files, let say for example system.da0 to system.dat and user.da0 to user.dat. Then you need to turn off your Hidden, System, Read-Only by doing an "attrib" on those files.
    3. If possible try to boot from a clean disk, this will help you to take out the possibility of virus-issues, if you have any on your pc.