Thread: Windows Xp doesn't shutdown

Windows Xp doesn't shutdown

Whenever i try to shut down my pc, it doesn't get shut down. After working for sometime on my pc, when i try to shut down my system, it says "Windows is shutting down but it doesn't get shutdown". I'm running Windows xp as my operating system. Can any body tell me that why my pc doesn't get shut down? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to get rid of the above issue.

In order to resolve the above issue, you need to reboot your system and need to hold down F8 key. then it will open up BIOS window on your screen, at that time you need to choose "Windows Advaced Options Menu" and the need to select Last Known Good Configuration option. Hope so it may resolve your issue.

In order to shut down your pc,you need to go on the Start menu and then select Run and then you need to type in "services.msc /s" and afterwards just need to press enter key. Then you need to double-click on the Terminal Services listing, there you need to change 'Startup type' to Disabled or you can keep it to Manual and then just click on OK tab. If you haven't installed Terminal Services on your pc, then this might also cause you the slow shutdowns problem on your pc.

For that you need to go to the Start menu and select Control Panel in order to open the Control Panel on your pc. Then on the Control Panel you need to select Performance and Maintenance and under that you need to click on System in order to open the System Properties dialog box. then on the System Properties dialog box you need to select the Advanced tab and then on the Startup and Recovery section, you need to click on the Settings button. Then on the Startup and Recovery a dialog box will appear on your screen and on that you need to select System Failure section and have to uncheck the box next to "Automatically restart". Then finally you need to click on the OK button.

Re: Windows Xp doesn't shutdown

All of these other suggestions are OK but the best way to resolve this issue is to go to Microsoft.com and search for a file called "UPHClean-Setup.msi". Windows logon and activity creates a log called a "Hive" some programs will cause an error in the shutdown cycle, install this utility and you should not have the problem any longer. If, however it does return just re-install the utility again and you will again be able to shutdown properly, you don't have to uninstall the first instance, just instrall it right over the first one.

From Microsoft.com.

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.

And here is the URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-42470e2f3582