Thread: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files deleted

AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files deleted

I accidentally deleted the files AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS Are these files important for windows to function properly or perform at all? I was deleting the temporary files and chech disk files from the driver and accidently deleted AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS I haven't rebooted my computer since two days as i am worried. Please help guys!

Re: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files deleted

AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files are important for loading drivers and booting the computer if your are using the computer with Windows 98 as your operating system. This files contains drive cache path, buffer size and some drivers that are non windows in-built.

I am not using windows 98. Mine is a new computer with Windows XP SP3. What about these files in Windows XP environment? Are these files necessary? Please help, I don't know much about the systems files in details...

If you are not using windows 98, you may ignore the problem. Just reboot your computer and the required file will be created automatically. Autoexec.bat is loaded when windows is installed for the first time. The first part of windows and its base is DOS, so this file is used to install drivers and save paths in dos mode. The file config.sys saves the hardware configuration in a encrypted system [sys] file. If Windows has all the drivers installed, this file will be recreated automatically when windows is booting the next time. So just sit back and see the changes. As the new file is created, the path for the drivers will were previously installed and now not used by the computer, that is which are not physically attached, will be removed, hence boosting some system performance